Week of feb 23rd

This week has been full of surprises. I got to speak to my Representative this week and encourage his support of a bill that opts Utah out of the Real ID act. After speaking to him for a few minutes he invited me to join my local caucus. I also talked to my senator about why she supported a certain bill that I didn't like. I also spent time talking to a good percentage of the members of the House of Representatives about a bill that would prohibit illegal aliens who are going to college to still get in state tuition if they commit any crimes. So it effectively prohibits them from working while going to school. I also spent time on the phone with Jack Thompson figuring out information for the Truth in Advertising bill. I called the ABC in Utah and figured out what their penalties were f or dealing with those who sold to minors. I also went through all of the bill currently before the legislature searching for any bills that were dealing with parts of the code dealing with selling or providing sexually explicit materials for minors. I was doing this per the request of a legislator who didn't have time to get his bill ready for this year but still wanted to get what he needed accomplished, so he asked if we could find any bills currently in the legislature that he might be able to amend and add his bill to. I only found two bills that dealt with this issue. I emailed all of the senate several things that we wanted their support for. I also spent a good deal of time following Gayle around and doing whatever she needed done. The other issue that is still simmering in the back ground is the issue concerning Sen. Buttars remarks about homosexuality. Over all this week was a busy week.

No comments:

Post a Comment